Monday, October 7, 2013

Antidote to Depression

I know, all of us feel the same way. Or all of us have some time or the other felt like Allah (subahaanahu wa ta'ala) is so far away from us, like he's forgotten us, like he doesn't like us. How can we pursue the pleasure of Allah (subahaanahu wa ta'ala) when we feel we are so far away from Allah (subahaanahu wa ta'ala). Let me tell you how. Have you ever read the tafsir of the Surah in the Quran Wad-Duha. The greatest...the greatest antidote to depression, the greatest way to feel good in your heart is to read the Surah Ad-Duha, because it is the most amazing Surah in the Quran that tells you to be positive and to feel good about Allah ('azza wa jal). Shall I tell you the meaning of Duha? In a way that perhaps you have not heard before. Surah Duha was revealed at a time when the Prophet () did not receive the revelation from Allah (subahaanahu wa ta'ala) for six months. For six months the Prophet () did not receive any revelation from Allah. Jibreel didn't come down. He didn't see a dream. You know there was a time when I used to see a lot of good dreams. Sometimes I don't feel like my salawaat, my ibadaat si actually making an impact on my heart and on my life. So I feel quite disconnected from Allah ('azza wa jal). Do you get that feeling sometimes, guys? Brothers, sisters, yes? Sometimes you feel like it's not affecting me, it's like Allah is not responding to me. He's not talking to me. I don't see good dreams anymore. I don't get the shiver down my spine any more. I'm not feeling the pleasure anymore. What's going on? In the same way, for 6 months the Prophet () did not receive any revelation from Jibreel coming down, all the way to (not even) a dream or nothing at all for six months. And so the Prophet () thought that Allah (subahaanahu wa ta'ala) hates him. He thought Allah (subahaanahu wa ta'ala) does not want him as a nabi (prophet) anymore. So all these thoughts were coming in his mind. Isn't that right when we start thinking the same? Some of us start thinking, 'Oh my god! Allah must really hate me. Look at my life. Allah must really not want me. Look at my situations, my circumstances. I must be a wretched, downtrodden human being. Allah doesn't care anything at all. Allah mustn't even care about my dua.' Sometimes these thoughts come to your mind. This is how Prophet () was when this surah was revealed.

Allah said, ‘By the sun and the morning in its blazing glory.’ So first thing you tell someone who is depressed, wake up, see the sunlight, it’s not all doomsday. It’s not all doom and gloom. There is a beautiful sun out there, beautiful light. ‘And the night it envelops.’ The second problem with the people, who are depressed, is that they stay up nights. They go to sleep in the morning and they stay up at nights. So everything is doomy and gloomy. They have a bad sleep-wake pattern. ‘And by the night as it gives comfort.’ ‘Allah doesn’t hate you [O’ Muhammad (peace be upon him)] nor has he forgotten you.’ Allah does not hate us. In the same way, ya Abdullah, ya Amatallah, Allah does not hate you. Allah has not forgotten you. ‘And indeed hereafter will be far better for you than this world.’ What is coming is going to be far better for you than what situation you are  in now. ‘And very soon, Allah will give you a massive reward and he will make you happy.’ Very soon, O’ Muslimeen! Allah will give us Jannah, In sha Allah and make us happy. Very soon Allah will give us a victory from all of this and make us happy. Very soon, Allah has promised this. And of a surety, very soon, very soon we will go to Jannah, In Sha’Allah. Very soon! Isn’t this the most beautiful thing to say to a person who feels bad in his heart? Then Allah gives him reasons to believe this. What does he say? He gives people reasoning so that you believe this. He says, ‘Did he not find you an orphan and look after you?’ Ask yourself, weren’t you very sick sometimes? Weren’t you a little boy and Allah looked after you? Weren’t you a little girl, no one to care for you, and Allah looked after you? And we found you misguided, didn’t we guide you? Weren’t we misguided, brothers and sisters, before we became practicing. I know, I never used to pray myself. I never knew about my deen. Didn’t  Allah find me misguided and guide me. In the same way, weren’t you misguided and Allah guide you? Didn’t Allah (subahan wa taalah) find you poor, in need of wealth and didn’t Allah give you wealth. How many of us -  By Allah! Allah (subhan wa ta’ala) had mercy on us, pity on us, and he made us wealthy. How many of us, Allah (subhan wa ta’ala) looked after us , when, by Allah, our families still are struggling back home. So Allah gives more and more reasoning to Rasoolullah ( peace be upon him) and to us. Reminding us again and again, why you should believe everything else that Allah has said(about) his promises that will come true. So to the depressed person, this is the best way. To reason by telling him about the past and giving him reason to believe that Allah’s promises will come true, just like it did in the past. Then Allah gives the antidote to depression. Do you know what it is? The depressed person is more concerned about himself. But the best way to remove depression and this feeling of being disconnected with Allah is to remember those people who are far-far in more difficulty than you. Allah continues and says, ‘And so the orphan, do not be hard on him.’ And the one who asks you, do not say no to him.’ So Allah tells this, remember two types of people. The first one is an orphan and second is a beggar. Remember the orphans, they have no one to look after. You have parents to look after you. You have family to look after you, somewhere to go home; the orphans have nobody. The beggar, he has no food, he is asking you for food. He goes to sleep hungry every day; Allah has given you food. How many of us have has ever gone to sleep hungry , SubhanAllah. So Allah tells us the antidote which is to look at the people  below us. And then the final way to remove this feeling of being disconnected from Allah, do you know what? And the blessing of your lord, ‘innumerate.’ Talk about the blessings of Allah. Alhamdulillah for my eyes. Alhamdullilah for my hands. Alhamdullilah for my mouth. Alhamdullilah for my heart. If Allah didn’t love us, why is he still keeping us alive? If Allah didn’t like us, why is he giving us sustenance for every minute that we are alive? If Allah didn’t  love us, why are we here today, sharing this knowledge, increasing in wisdom, and love of Allah (‘azza wa jal)?


My brothers and sisters in Islam, next time you feel disconnected read Surah duha, And , by Allah you feel the same love that the Prophet (peace be upon him) received from Allah (‘azza wa jal), that Allah (subhan wa ta’ala) will of surety bless him and of surety bless us, In Sha’Allah. Very soon! Very soon Allah’s promises will come true. 

Life Changing Islamic Reminder  - by Sheikh Dr. Tawfique Chowdhury 

1 comment:

  1. True north learnings will make you come out of your troubled past and help you to lead the present happily. Teaches you the positives and negatives of you and helps you select your goals correctly in your future days of life.

    ReplyDelete